Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 33

So today is actually Halloween.  Now I have wrestled with the idea of Halloween and what I wanted to teach my son about it.  In the end I decided we would go trick or treating but to only people we knew.  We went to 3 neighbors, and then drove around to friends homes and then to my parents.  Now I can think of so many countries that would not celebrate Halloween and do the "trick or treating" because of safety, because of lack of resources.  How often do we really sit and think about everything that we have and are thankful for it.  Living in a house is a gift, having heat in that house is a gift, having food in the cupboards is a gift, having running water is a gift, having a car is a gift, having a job is a gift, having a safe community is a gift.  How often do we really think about it?  I know I don't nearly enough.  So today all of these things that I take for granted are my miracles, because they really are.  I remember when I was 18 and working with a woman who was involved with Children's services.  I realized then how lucky I was to have been born in the circumstance I was, because really all it boils down to is what your born into.  I could have been born into the streets of Thailand and not have been so lucky.  So today I'm thankful I was able to feed my son, keep him warm, dress him up, drive him to friends, and to receive treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment