Sunday, December 12, 2010

Day 64

3 years ago I woke up at 5am and had the brainiac idea that we should throw a friend of mine a benefit dance on New Years Eve.  I came up with the idea around Dec 5th or so.  We had 20 days to pull it together.  We did, it was a success and now its started an annual event.
This year we met with the families today to just go over what the night entails and explain what we do. 
Although it is a lot of work and I say that I don't want to do it meeting the families really makes me realize that this is a gift that we are giving back to the community.  Yes we affect the families and provide them with some support.  Some may think that it is just financial but I have spoken to some of the families many times over the past year about many different things and welcome their phone call when they just want to talk or ask if I would know where they could get some information about anything.  So it really is about support, moral, emotional, not just financial. 
Plus where can you take a family of 4 for $34 bucks on New year's eve, get a hot meal, entertainment, and treats for the kids?!  Yep this benefit really is a little miracle in our community I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment